Please read this notice carefully to understand how BTC Africa collects, shares, and protects your personal information, whether you send or receive money using BitPesa Services, use or request other products or services from us; submit information to us on applications or other forms and by other means; use or visit the BitPesa Website or other online sites (for example, to complete a Transaction or manage your BitPesa Account); enter a promotion; or for any other reason. Capitalized terms not defined in context have the meanings ascribed to them in the Definitions section of the Terms and Conditions.
What information do we collect?
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on which of our products or services you are using. Use of BitPesa Services may require that you provide any of the following information:
- The identification number associated with the form of acceptable identification provided;
- Your full name;
- Your physical address;
- Your email address;
- Your date of birth;
- Your taxpayer identification number;
- Your government identification number;
- Your telephone number;
- Your nationality;
- A user name and password;
- Identification and verification of your wallet or account;
- Copy of passport or other governmental identification document; and
- Other information that we may request from time to time; and
- the names and phone numbers of recipients of your Transactions, as well as Bitcoin amounts and when such amounts are to be transferred to or from the recipients.
We also may collect information about you from a variety of sources, including without limitation, computer systems; third-party sources such as our business clients, government agencies, and other suppliers of information; and consumer-reporting agencies.
You consent to our collection, transfer and storage of information by computers or other transfer or storage devices in the United States and elsewhere.
How we use your information
We use and share your personal information for the following purposes only:
- Our everyday business purposes, such as to verify your identity; process your Transactions; maintain your BitPesa Account; respond to court orders and legal investigations; report to credit bureaus; gather information about BitPesa Services access, usage and performance; enhance your consumer experience; validate your identity; or as otherwise permitted or required by law;
- review and verification by our independent third-party service providers;
- Our marketing purposes, such as to offer our products and services to you or notify you about future events and promotions;
- Joint marketing with other financial companies;
- Our Affiliates' everyday business purposes, such as information about your Transactions, experiences, and creditworthiness;
- For our Affiliates to market to you;
- For Non-affiliates to market to you.
By accepting the terms of this policy, you specifically agree that BTC Africa, its Affiliates, and its Non-affiliates may access, use, and store your personal information for identification verification purposes and provision of products and services.
Without limiting the foregoing, we may, directly or through third parties: (i) make any inquiries we consider necessary to verify your identity and/or BitPesa Account information, and (ii) request and obtain any consumer report, credit report or similar information relating to you and to take action we reasonably deem necessary based on the results of such inquiries and reports, and you hereby authorize any and all third parties to which such inquiries or requests may be directed to fully respond to such inquiries or requests.
When you are no longer our consumer or customer, we continue to share your information as described in this notice. However, you can contact us at any time to limit our sharing. You may also contact us at any time to review and request changes to any of your personally identifiable information.
All information you provide is subject to storage by BitPesa for a period of seven (7) years (or such other period as BitPesa may determine in order to comply with applicable laws and business practices) for archival and record-keeping purposes.
Note: Disclosures not subject to an opt-out choice include: disclosures necessary to effect, administer or enforce a Transaction you request; disclosures to BitPesa retailers; disclosures permitted or required by law; or disclosures to prevent fraud or other illegal activities.
How do we protect your information?
To help protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we endeavor to use reasonable security measures. These measures can include physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards such as computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. We also endeavor to limit personal information access to only employees, agents, and representatives that need to know. Despite our efforts, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access your transmissions to us or may wrongly instruct you to disclose information to them by posing as BTC Africa or by misinforming you about our services.
Google Analytics. We currently employ Google Analytics tools to analyze our traffic. We have enabled the Remarketing and the Demographics and Interest features. If you wish, you may install a browser extension to opt-out of the use of Google Analytics on our site.
Additionally, we currently use Google AdWords for our advertising needs. We have enabled the Remarketing and the Demographics and Interest features.
Online Activities. We do not honor any web browser "do not track" signals or other mechanisms that provide you the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services. In addition, other parties may collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use the BitPesa Website or any of our services.
Children’s Privacy. The BitPesa Website is not directed at children under the age of 13. BTC Africa does not knowingly collect or maintain information at our website from persons under the age of 13.
External Websites. The BitPesa Website may be linked to or from third-party websites. BTC Africa is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of websites that are linked to or from the BitPesa Website.
Changes to this policy.
From time to time, we may need to update this statement because of a change in the BitPesa Website’s functionality or in applicable laws. When we do so, we’ll note on the BitPesa Website that the policy has been changed. Changes will go into effect thirty (30) days after we post the new policy.
LAST MODIFIED: May 2016