As of December 2014, you can now buy Bitcoin from BitPesa, and it’s fast and easy.
First things first. What is Bitcoin? You may have heard about it. Bitcoin is the most convenient way to make payments from anywhere in the world without exorbitant fees in the way. You can find out more here.
If you are in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania or Uganda, you can buy Bitcoin from BitPesa. Here’s how:
- Sign up for a free account on the BitPesa site. Do it here. You will need to upload a scan of your national ID or passport.
- Once you’re logged in, select New Transaction on your dashboard. Business hours: Monday – Friday, 6AM – 4PM GMT.
- Enter the amount in you are paying in the I have field and select BTC from the dropdown in the I want field.
- Select recipient as either yourself, someone else or a recent contact you’ve used before.
- Enter your Bitcoin Wallet Address and click “Continue”.
- On the next page you’ll find the payment page with your transaction details and payment options. You can pay with Paga or your debit card in Nigeria, or mobile money in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda. Your Bitcoin will arrive in minutes.
- You will receive your BTC in a few minutes!
What if I don’t have a Bitcoin wallet?
If you have an Android phone, we recommend Bitcoin Wallet, or Mycelium. If you have an iPhone, we recommend Blockchain. If you have any other type of phone or would prefer a desktop wallet, go to your web browser and create an account on www.blockchain.info.
Why would I want to buy Bitcoin?
You can purchase items online (click here for a list of merchants who accept Bitcoin), pay staff or suppliers in Bitcoin, or trade Bitcoin with fellow enthusiasts!
If you have any questions in regard to this, let us know in the comment section below or on email@example.com. You can also call our customer service lines at +254 714 356 461 or +2349082065264.
There you have it. Start buying today!